Tuesday, October 31

First Date and Next Steps

I was writing this post two days ago, but my computer froze and I couldn't finish it. So anyways here's the continuation from where I stopped.

He invited me to a youth party organised by his youth club in church. I decided that was harmless enough so I agreed to attend. When we got there, every one was wondering who I was, and I kept on saying we were friends from school.

After the party, he asked if he could take me home and I agreed. Two other girls asked him for a lift as well. On the way, one of them was calling him "her husband", and then she suddenly stopped and started apologising to me. I found it amusing because I wasn't his girlfriend at the time, so I wondered why she was apologising to me. Anyways after he dropped them off, I asked him and he claimed he didn't know why she thought I was his girlfriend. (Later I found out that he had told them I was!)

Some days later, he invited me to see a movie with him during the week. I was working late that day, so we agreed to see an evening film. I left work later than usual and got delayed on the tube, so by the time we got to the cinema, the movie had already started. We decided there was no point going in to see the film anymore. He suggested we should get some food and go and sit in his car to talk. This was fine by me. And it was while we were sitting and talking that he told me what was going on in his mind, and asked me to be his girlfriend. I can't remember his exact words, but he made it clear that he wanted a long-term meaningful relationship. So this was not just a fling, not just a "let's see how it goes" relationship, but something that would work out. I knew that he was asking in effect if I would agree to be his wife sometime in the future. I sat in silence for a while. Then I told him I would pray about it and let him know my answer when I'm sure. That evening was lovely, we enjoyed each other's company so much that we ended up sitting in the cinema's car park talking till 3.00am in the morning! When we eventually realised the time, we laughed at ourselves. Then he dropped me off at home and I stayed on the phone with him until he got home too. Sweet eh :-)

At work the next day, I'm sure my co-workers noticed that I was smiling more than normal, and I was receiving loads of text messages. I was thinking about him all day. I had prayed about it that morning, and I told God I wanted a clear sign that I should start a relationship with this guy. I wanted to be 101% sure that I was doing the right thing. Then I remembered that I had prayed for a husband. Was God answering my prayer already? I decided to wait and see. That evening, when he called me to ask for my response, I told him I was waiting to for God to confirm something to me. He understood. So the next few days I kept my eyes and ears open to hear from God. Sure enough I got my response. And I felt so much peace.

So one fateful day in September 2002, I called "Mr" and told him I had agreed to be his girlfriend! He was really pleased (obviously). We committed ourselves to God there and then, and asked Him to guide us down the path we were taking. And that marked the start of our wonderful relationship.

(Recap: met him in January, became friends in April, grew closer over the summer, became his girlfriend in September. Pretty straight-forward eh?) LOL

One thing that strikes me, as I look back now, is that I can't think of which point I started falling in love with him. We started out as platonic friends, but somehow the love between us grew, and before I knew it, I was well and truly smitten.

12 comments:

NaijaBloke said...

Thatz what an talking abt jere ...Action man ..LOL

Unknown said...

Awwwww!!!! Its so nice to be in love. I remember the giggling and chatting on the fone bit fondly. They occurred a lot in my relationships too. More!! More!!!

Anonymous said...

too cute! to be in love is....wonderful..

Anonymous said...

awwwwww
very very sweet!

Unknown said...

Isn't that the most amazing thing, when you're getting to know someone and you really like them and you lost track of the time just talking ... it sounds so sweet!

See, I'm always telling people that there is one person out there for each of us, you two were obviously destined to be together!

LondonBuki said...

Sweet :-)

Now I have to wait for the next entry like everyone else!!!

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

This is way better than M & B novels. I'm digging ur blog o.

Anonymous said...

lol @ bhookey! Amen to that. Make sure u invite me sha.

En hemm TP.. I'm totally feeling ur blog! YOU must be God sent!

YOu said you asked for some confirmation.. I hope I'm not being too nosey. But wat did u ask for and how did you know .....I'lld like to know if you don't mind sharing. lol

Anonymous said...

Just read through all your posts. Very inspiring and beautiful! I feel inspired to take my love life a little more serisouly now...cus the future isnt as far away as I thought. I made a list of all those books and I intend to read every one :D
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

your life seems pretty straight forward and perfect

thats so cheeky and cute he told her you were already his girlfriend lol

Fabulo-la said...

But what was the sign?

Daughter of Her King said...

@Fabulo-la the sign was she felt so much peace...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...